more than two/rejecting the binary (Re: The Number 2)
Would be amazing to make an animation that kind of explores/summaries the development of theories surrounding the notion of binary opposites.
What springs to mind is gender theory but it can also be applied to things like race, sexuality etc etc but mainly related to the theme of identity and how we identify ourselves.
For those who don't know much about the theories I'll try to explain using gender as an example but there's a youtube video here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS-tGyulQOA - it's called Spectrums. by HeyThere005) that explains it a whole lot better & the world map picture at the end I just absolutely love.
The boring theory bit here (scroll for the fun animation ideas if you've watched the video/already know):
- According to theorists gender came about as biologically we are divided in to two sexes and these sexes due to their biological differences emerged to dominance within different roles within society so now the terms man and woman infer a gender role.
- Initially these remained divided however people began to challenge these mainly through women playing the mans role and vice versus which allowed for a fluidity.
- So now we have a scale in which you have man and woman (or masculine and feminine) at either end and they can be crossed between.
- Along this scale people have now chosen to stop halfway or create their own categories for example transgender people or even just tomboys.
- Then some people started to say well I don't fit anywhere along the line I want to be something else or nothing at all and began to create their own categories, some by overlappping catgeories thus we have people who don't identify as either gender etc.
- And all the time this gender example is interlinked with different 'maps' such as sexulaity or race etc.
So how could this work in an animation?
Well we basically wanna word the theory better so request for writers to do that and get a funky little voice over to go alongside graphics to demonstrate.
- What springs to mind would be having examples of two, clearly showing them as opposite (maybe a bit about it being a social construct could go kind of caricature with that.
- Then have a shot of them being linked and thus we have a scale.
- Again could go kind of cartoony with people putting themselves in different places then someone jumping off the line.
- Then every pops into circles that are overlapping and label them (could get quite creative or funny with these) possible link back to the gender map image from the youtube video or something of that ilk.
These are obviously just bare bones and I was thinking we could also frame it with video shots of people at the beginning saying what they are according to the binary's (especially people who wouldn't fit might be cool to get some cross dressed or mixed race people etc saying they have to be male/female, black/white according to binary) and then end it with people identifying as all different kinds of things.
Sorry to ramble but there's so many ways this could go & having just finished a Literary theory module on binaries it's kind of all I can think about!
Created: Apr 18, 2014