I've always had a difficult time with this question, but I love discussing it. I have a difficult time because I love so many movies. Here are my top 5 (as of right now):
5) Good Will Hunting: I love the script to this movie. The more times I see it, the more I love it.
4) The Graduate: Amazingly funny in its dry humor and, I think, the consummate "coming of age" movie. Dustin Hoffman is incredible in this movie.
3) Life is Beautiful: I just love this film for so many reasons. I guess the most important one is the idea of making beauty and joy out of, literally, the most horrible situations.
2) Fargo: When I HAD to pick a favorite movie, this topped my list for the past 13 years (more on that in a moment). The Coen Brothers are incredible film-makers. The way this movie is put together (direction/cinematography-wise) combined with the on-point acting, combined with the hilarious why-am-I-laughing-at-this? dark humor just makes for an amzing film
1) Inception: Until this afternoon, as I said above, Fargo held the favorite movie spot on my list for 13 years. But this afternoon I saw Inception for the 2nd time and it has truly blown me away. When I saw Chris Nolan had a new film coming out I was dying to see it because I LOVED Momento (if I made a top 10 list, that would be on it) and also really enjoyed The Dark Knight. But this story ... wow. I don't even know what to say. When I saw it the first time, I thought maybe it had some holes, but after seeing it a second time it has completely sewn all the loose ends together and I've been able to start creating my own theories. What an amazing film-maker to be able to create a summer blockbuster that is this wonderfully acted and thought-provoking. I can't say enough about this movie, I will see it a third time.
Created: Jul 30, 2010Document Media